Five Immune Boosting Tips this Winter!By
The great news is that there is no need for you to sing that song! There are lots of things you can be doing to keep your immune system strong and your body in tip top health all through winter (and in fact all year long).
Here are 5 things you can do to keep your immune system strong this winter:
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day. This may sound too simple and obvious, but it is the easiest way to get a cocktail of key vitamins, antioxidants, enzymes and phytonutrients that work as little immunity soldiers defending your territory against invaders. Enjoy seasonal fruits: so some examplesof winter options are oranges (and citrus fruits), avocados, pumpkin and butternut.
- Spend a little time in the sun everyday if you can. Vitamin D is vital for your immune system… and for feeling good through the sometimes gloomy winter. To be most beneficial, you need to expose at least your face, hands and arms (at least 3/4 of your arm, so beyond your elbows) and you want to be in the morning or afternoon sun… between 10 and 11am or between 2 and 3pm, for about 20 minutes, without sunblock! (And no, this is not irresponsible exposure.) So enjoy your morning or afternoon teabreak outside, or make an excuse to go for a quick walk at that time.
- Keep your home and office well ventilated. It can be tempting to keep doors and windows shut to try and keep out the cold out and the warmth in… but the problem is you also create a wonderful breeding ground for bacteria, moulds and keep a lot of the “undesirables” in.
- Supplement 1000mg of Vitamin C everyday (take it in the Ester C or non-acidic form). You can increase this dose safely anytime you feel stressed or a tickle or sniffle. (1000mg every hour or two, 2000mg to 8000mg over the day or until bowel tolerance- you get a runny tummy).
- Manage your stress levels, take time out and get enough sleep! Stress wreaks havoc with your immune system, it not only weakens your immune system, but also delays your ability to heal.
Here is a yummy pumpkin soup recipe for you.