Lisa Vance - Monday, February 07, 2011
Reasons not to skip meals, why it can actually slow your metabolism and contribute to your weight problem!
When you skip meals or don't eat your body enters what is referred to as a fasting state and then starvation state. This starts to happen after 4-6 hours without food, and depending on how you have trained your body, the effects can be more or less serious.
Here are some of the physiological effects though that tend to occur in the body, when it goes for a period without food:
- The body when depleted of carbohydrate stores will switch to alternative fuel sources, this process is known as Ketosis. The body will use available blood glucose, and then revert to carbohydrate stores for example glycogen in the liver and muscles. Once those are depleted (usually within 6 hours) the first "alternate" fuel it reaches for is protein, and unfortuately unlike carbohydrate and fat your body doesn't have stores of protein, so your body will break down muscle. This will directly affect your metabolism and your energy levels. Your muscles or lean body mass help to set your metabolism. The lower your metabolism the less energy you burn and have.
- Slowing of metabolism as the body readjusts it’s energy output and input and attempts to become more efficient. Your body slows down its metabolism in a defensive effort to preserve energy and important resources. Your brain, nerves and red blood cells rely on carbohydrate to function, your body makes meeting these needs a priority.
- Malnutrition: Deficiencies start to result as essential nutrients are depleted and are not replenished. If you are not taking nutrients in your supplies are used up and over time you can be malnourished but even in the short term your body processes can be compromised if you are missing important tools to function.
- Wasting occurs as tissues are broken down for fuel, muscle wasting occurs before fat stores are immobilised. Your body starts to break down muscle and eventually fat stores and as a result you start to see and feel changes in your body.
- Survival: the body activates stress and survival strategies. It is stressful for your body the longer it has to go without food particularly if your eating patterns are erattic and it doesn't know when it can expect it's next meal.
- Shutting down of “unnecessary” processes: the body decides which body functions are non- essential, for example long term starvation as in the case of anorexia can result in anorexic dysmenorrhea (loss of periods/menstruation.)
- Organ and System failure, eventually key organs may begin to malfunction or shut down
- Death: finally in severe cases of prolonged starvation (or periods without any nutrition such as excessive ongoing fasting and starvation - beyond a couple of weeks, and depending on the individual).
It is a good idea to eat small regular meals. That is the most effective way to control your blood sugar, your energy, your weight and your mood. The result is health worth celebrating!
- What is glutamine and why is it beneficial
- Chocolate, Cheese, Meat and Sugar are Addictive!
- You are more beautiful that you think you are
- The Best Video I have ever seen on Breast Awareness featuring HOT GUYS
- The Perfect Weight: the causes and some solutions to weight problems
- Barriers to Weight Loss 101
- Organic or not?
- Benefits of Sleep
- How to get enough as a vegetarian and avoid becoming deficient in iron and B12
- Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas!!!!
how to check your breasts new year's resolutions cooking with allergies relax getting fit celebrate life Cancer nutrition performance blood pressure benefits of sleeping food allergies great second hand books 7 Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol and Protect Your Heart sustainable living, rural development, organic gardening, rampumps, biogas keep focused alzheimers Nina Simone trans fats focus breast cancer awareness I don't get hungry which is better for you butter or margarine dangers of multitasking while you eat cooking class in brisbane the power to choose mood make stress work for you breast cancer prevention sexy salads health with 10 % effort reducing coffee simple 7 day detox plan hunger and stress quick recipes strength brain health indigestion what is movember fatigue comfort pig empty your mind prostate cancer have more energy organic vegetables nutritious herbal toothpaste seasonal quick and tasty recipes Lisa's Diary feels good do i have to drink milk; where do i get calcium from; non dairy calcium sources energy reasons to eat foods in season healthy shopping list food intolerances overindulge recipes for allergies Happiness cholesterol lowering diet cheap fruit and vegetables, what's in season in autumn in australia success and you weight low cholesterol taking responsibility how to avoid doing the right thing and getting the wrong results salad Alan Pease maintain a healthy weight, underweight improve your memory happiness course natural toothpaste skip meals health for busy people time management and healthy living music healthy wine, healthy beer, healthy alcohol options healthy shopping assertiveness is chocolate bad for me support your body are grains healthy ways to improve prostate health best exercise Egg allergy taking a break gift benefits of strength training, why you should strength train nutritionist how to get more of exercise libido health pioneers dance what is healthy food life Lactose intolerance fresh start fresh is sugar bad fun breast cancer awareness video hot guys stress, keys to managing stress, benefits of stress benefits to keeping a diet diary Laughter and stress leaky gut, gut health, symptoms of leaky gut dancing quick eating solutions the tummy beast making time to relax fruit and vegetable shortage recipe how to love exercise wrong type of exercise, exercise and results detox what is a good breakfast immune system 10 % principle image Dr Randy Pausch on Oprah high cholesterol life choices fussy eaters Add new tag health sexy salad 7 steps to detox real food comfort eating happiness workshop natural alternatives to drugs homocysteine memory avoiding a choice how to be happy soccer, role of team sports in longevity, role of exercise and community in longevity recipies increasing energy Nutritional Therapist relationship with food I've Got Life are frozen veggies any good delicious healthy fast food, healthy take away obesity heart disease life lessons Sensational motivation how to say no love, loneliness healthy cooking party comfort foods quizz diet diary of a nutritionist go for 2 and 5 addicted to chocolate corporate wellness mobile phones and brain cancer, Dr Teo nutritionist in brisbane to know and not do is not yet to know childrens lunch boxes how to avoid injury during exercise breakfast healthy cooking demonstration fruit ability to respond allergies sensitivity to milk fun anxiety diet diary foods in season, seasonal recipes ask my doctor muffins should I eat organic veggies immune boosting tips christmas heart foundation tick explained have fun in the kitchen skipping meals lunch health one step at a time pop-eye and spinach food sensitivities gluten intolerance four questions you must ask your doctor before taking medication nutritious cooking control healthy cooking parties nutritionists diet diary drugfree alternatives love food