What's in Season? And how should I prepare it?
Eating food that is in season locally is such a good idea! It is CHEAPER, it is FRESHER, which makes it HEALTHIER and TASTE BETTER!
So what is in season in Summer in Australia?
Fruit in season:
Pear, Nashi, Red Gala Apples, stone fruits (cherry, apricot, peach, nectarine, plum), lemon and yellow grapefruit and orange (Valencia), berries (gooseberry, strawberry, mulberry, blueberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant, blackberry, raspberry), pineapple, mango, prickly pear, lychee, banana, passionfruit, rambutan, rhubarb, grape, fig
Vegetables in season:
Vine leaves, rocket, chevril, basil, mint, (bay leaves, chives, coriander, dill, parsley, rosemary, sage, tarragon, thyme all year round), runner and snake beans, green beans, borlotti beans, okra, avocado, squash, sweet corn, zucchini flower, choko, cucumber, capsicum, chilli, eggplant, tomato, radish, spring onion, salad onion, red onion, leek, celery, asparagus
Rocket, Nashi and Parmesan Summer salad
Arrange 2 handfuls rocket, 1 nashi pear thinly sliced or cubed, shaved cucumber (use a potato peeler and peel lengthways), avocado (sliced) in a beautiful salad bowl. Sprinkle with shaved parmesan. Dress with a squeeze of lemon or balsamic reduction and a drizzle of olive oil, and a grind of black pepper.
So fresh and yummy!
Here are some more recipe ideas and tasty meal solutions. (Seasonal, quick and tasty recipes).
Here is a yearly overview of fruit and vegetables in season.
- A Soft Drink a day Keeps Good Behaviour Away
- Best Medicine for ... just about everything
- Low Calorie Diet Meal Plan
- Think carefully about what you want, when you say "weightloss"
- Low GL diet
- All calories are not created equal
- What is glutamine and why is it beneficial
- Chocolate, Cheese, Meat and Sugar are Addictive!
- You are more beautiful that you think you are
- The Best Video I have ever seen on Breast Awareness featuring HOT GUYS